Monday, June 1, 2015

The damage a few words can do

Ever called your child, "stupid", "dumb" or even just "lazy"?

Have any idea the damage can done long term with just a few negative words to a small child can be later in life? 

For me they cause me great discomfort and an intense sense of failing no matter what I do.  I was always told I didn't know how to do anything while sitting at the holiday table with the whole family laughing, except of course, me.  Even as a young adult who was struggling to find his way in the world as an Army Soldier who had recently been signed for a $3 million rig for which I was responsible for as well as they other soldiers assigned at the time I heard how I didn't know how to do my job.  How inept at everything I tried I was.

Every failure felt like daggers in my mind killing off what was left of my confidence and spirit.

So the next time you even think of calling your child Lazy as a young adult which they may be, they might also be crawling inside of themselves because of the lack of support you have provided them over the years or quite possibly a mental illness they cannot even bare to bring to your attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment